Monday, August 2, 2010

OS of choice

My Operating System of choice is Linux. Microsoft and Apple are too restrictive and pricey for what you get.

I started using Linux back in college with the distribution called Redhat. It was ok, only supporting some of my hardware out of the box  However, I liked the idea of rpms as a package system, so I tried Mandrake. Again it was ok and left me wanting more out of my OS. I have tried many distros since then including Slackware, Gentoo, Puppy, openSUSE, and debian. While using Debian, I fell in love with the deb package system, Apt, which downloads the deb you need plus all of the required debs it needs. However Debian felt too clunky for me. It was then that I stumbled upon Ubuntu based off of Debian. Ubuntu just worked. I rarely have a problem with it and it is very easy to stay updated. Just recently, I was reintroduced to Linx Mint (which is based off o Ubuntu) and I have to say that I feel in love all over again with its newest version, Linux Mint 9: Isodora. Like distros, I have also used several Window Mangers: Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox, Openbox, Window Maker, fvwm, xfce etc... I like the lightweight of xfce and openbox, but I stuck with Gnome. With Linux Mint 9, I have been reintroduced to KDE, which I have not liked in the older versions. I know a lot of people are hating on the new direction that KDE has gone with Plasma and plasmoid widgets, but I love them.

Here is my current desktop (Linux Mint 9 using KDE):

No comments:

Post a Comment